Sew: The Runway Shortie {free pattern download!}

***The sewing tutorial for the Runway Shortie can be found here***

I love the look of the shorties/rompers that I keep seeing on the runway (Project Runway, that is!) but there’s no way I could ever wear one. But my baby girl can. Complete with shortie shorts, a low gathered waist, and contrasting cuffs and tie, this one-piece is the perfect summer outfit for a little girl.

I’ve put together a pattern for this cute little outfit so you can make one too! It’s sized at 12-18 months, and fits my little girl who is an average/small 16 month old perfectly. If you’d like to make one, download the PDF pattern here!

Then hop on over to this post for the full tutorial!

And if your little girl doesn’t happen to wear 12-18mo size clothes, never fear! I’ll be posting a tutorial next week on how to use a shirt and pair of shorts that fits your girl to modify my pattern, so check back!

Linked up at:

House of Hepworths

Somewhat Simple

A Crafty Soiree

The Shabby Creek Cottage

Tickled Pink

Tatertots and Jello

Comments

Shirley Clark says

This is really cute!
    Could you answer something for me? Do you use some kind of pattern making software? I noticed how nicely your pattern is labeled, and I’m looking for pattern software as I’d like to make some patterns to sell.
    Or if not, which method did you use to create your pattern? I know how to draft a pattern, but I also want to know about the labeling. To me that’s what make them look so professional.
    Thanks!

No pattern making software here. This is the first one I’ve ever made, so I don’t have a really cool pattern making solution for you :) I just traced my pattern on 8.5×11 pieces of paper, then scanned them in to Photoshop Elements. At that point I used the line tool to draw over what I had traced (on a new layer), then used the text tool to add the labels/instructions (on more new layers). Finally I deleted the layer that had the original, scanned in lines, since they were just pencil lines that weren’t very tidy looking. Flatten the image and save as PDF!

Denise says

So cute! How did I miss this post? Just pinned it in case I remember to make one for my new adorable niece next summer. :)

Antonette says

I love this. You did an amzing job and I am gonig to try to recreate it. A couple of questions if you don’t mind- I am new to the sewing world- can you explain why you used the interfacing and lined it? Is it functional or just for looks? Also, do you have any tips for adding snaps to the shorts for easier diaper changes? Thank you!

saraho says

i have made this for my daughter. Its fab and really easy! She is 18 months so i added a bit to the width, length and rise. I have also never made trousers before but the instructions were nice and clear. Biggest problem i had was the snaps, but they just seem to take some practice.
    thanks and keep them coming

Thanks so much for letting me know, Saraho! I love hearing that things worked out for readers. I’d also love to see a picture.
    Thanks again,
    Autumn

kylie says

Not sure if you pulled the pattern down but I keep getting an error when I click your link to download. I am really bad a doing my own patterns so thought using your one would be easier. Can you help at all? Cheers