cook: soft and chewy french bread with garlic spread

the best homemade french bread recipe + step by step photo directions on how to make

A few years ago on Christmas Eve I had just tucked my kiddos into bed when my doorbell rang. When I opened the door my good friend Cathy was standing there with a warm loaf of french bread and a little packet of what turned out to be the most unbelievably delicious garlic herb spread. She said she thought my husband and I might need a little snack as we were finishing up our last minute Christmas wrapping. And did we ever! We sat upstairs ripping hunks off the bread and slathering it with the butter spread as we we finished all the last minute Christmas Eve tasks (do you not have any of these? You must be more organized than I am.) This was, by far, the best neighbor Christmas gift ever!

Months later I finally got the recipe from her and I’ve been making it repeatedly ever since. I don’t know if I’ll ever be organized enough to bake bread for my friends on Christmas Eve, but I love to give away one of these loaves every time I make it. Each batch makes 4 loaves and it’s super easy to double to make 8 loaves. One batch of the sinfully delicious garlic herb spread splits perfectly into 8 of these cute portion cups you can buy at the grocery store:

Which means with a little bit of work one afternoon, you can bake up 8 gorgeous loaves of bread and deliver them with garlic spread while they’re nice and warm to anyone you want to cheer up. Or anyone you’d really like a favor from :)

Enough rhapsodizing? On to the recipe? Alright, here you go. (I’ve written out the recipes first, then followed with some pictures and more detailed instructions.)

French Bread

1 1/2 T instant yeast

1/2 C very warm water

1 1/2 T sugar

2 C water

1 1/2 T oil

2 1/4 t salt

6 C flour

Combine the yeast, 1/2 C warm water, and sugar, and let proof for ten minutes. (I should admit I’ve skipped this step and thrown everything into the mixer at once, and it’s worked fine.) Then add remaining 2 C water, oil, salt, and 3 C of flour. Mix until flour is incorporated, then add remaining 3 C flour gradually. Knead about five minutes, then turn out onto generously floured surface. Every ten minutes for the next hour knead two or three times. Form into 4 loaves. Brush with beaten egg white. Slash 3 diagonal lines into tops. Raise until double or 30 minutes. Bake at 425 for 10 minutes, then at 375 for 20 minutes.

Boursen Cheese Spread (aka Garlic Herb Spread)

1/2 C butter

8 oz package cream cheese

1 clove garlic, minced

1/2 t oregano

1/2 t basil

1/8 t each dill, marjoram, thyme, and pepper OR 1/2 t poultry seasoning

Let butter and cream cheese come to room temperature, then stir all to combine.

And here are my additional comments:

It can be hard to know just how much flour to add when you’re making bread. I use the scoop and level method to measure my flour, and 6 C always ends up being just right for me. Some bread recipes tell you to keep adding flour until the sides of your bowl come clean – don’t do that for this recipe! This bread is incredibly tender, which means the dough is going to be softer and stickier. You’ll see in the picture below that much of the dough is hanging onto my dough hook, but some is still stuck to the sides and bottom of the bowl.

You can tell you’ve added enough flour and you’ve kneaded the dough long enough when you can pinch off a small bit and easily roll it into a little ball in the palm of your hand. It will still be a little sticky to the touch, but not so sticky you can’t roll it into a ball.

Because it’s a soft dough, I find a rounded plastic scraper handy in pulling it out of the bowl…

…and onto a well floured surface. It doesn’t look finished kneading yet…

…but once you give it a quick roll in the flour you’ll be able to shape it into a nice ball.

Now comes the part that gives the crust a nice, characteristically french bread chewiness. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes, then come back and knead it two or three times. Just punch it down and fold it over a few times, then gather it back into a ball. Come back every ten minutes for an hour (so if you pulled the dough out of your mixer at 3:30, your last quick knead will be at 4:20 and the dough will be ready to shape at 4:30). It sounds like a lot of work, but if you’re going to be home anyway it only takes about 30 seconds to walk into the kitchen, knead three times, and walk back out. AND it’s not crucial that the kneading takes place at exact ten minute intervals, and it’s not crucial that you do it for exactly an hour. Just make sure you come back at least four times in the next hour to punch and fold it a few times.

When you’ve hit an hour, divide the dough into four even pieces. Push each piece into a rough rectangle shape, then roll it up and pinch it so it stays together. Place it pinched side down on a greased or lined cookie sheet. Then beat one egg white with a dash of water and brush the egg mixture over the loaf (or just use your hands to spread it over the loaf like I do if you don’t have a pastry brush). Get it all covered – anything not covered with the egg mixture will end up pale and sickly looking.

You’ll let it rise for about half an hour, (preheat the oven during this rise), then bake for 10 minutes at 425 degrees, then turn the oven down to 375 and bake for 20 more minutes. The picture above shows what the loaves look like when shaped, then after the 30 minute rise, then after baking time.

Your house is going to smell like heaven at this point.

Hopefully, while the bread was rising you also mixed up your garlic herb spread…

…so the devouring can begin immediately.

Note: If you decide to double the recipe, you can bake two sheets of loaves at once, but you may need to increase your bake time, and you’ll definitely want to switch which loaf is on the top rack at least once during baking time. Enjoy!

Linked up at:

Tickled Pink

Tatertots and Jello

Somewhat Simple

Whipperberry

Simple Kierste

Comments

Cassidy – the answer is probably yes. I think someone else in the comments mentioned that she did just that. I’ve done that with lots of other bread recipes and it works out fine, but I haven’t tried it with this specific recipe. You’ll want to go all the way through shaping the loaves, then freeze the loaves you don’t want to bake (on a greased cookie sheet, then transfer to a freezer bag when hard). Then when you want to bake the frozen loaves take them out of a freezer and place back on a greased cookie sheet. It will probably take 4-5 hours at room temp for them to thaw completely and then rise. Then add the egg wash and bake as directed. If you try it, come back and let us know how it goes!

caprice says

so if I rub an egg/water mixture all over my body will it keep my legs from looking white and sickly on my cruise? just wondering… I’m taking lasagna to a friend tomorrow and this will be perfect to go with, thanks!

I think that if you bake your legs for half an hour after you rub them with the egg whites they probably won’t like pale and sickly anymore! lol. I’m so jealous about the cruise!

Barbara says

I’ve never made bread but this is a recipe I think I can start with. I clicked over from Pinterest because of a jumper refashion that I loved. Enjoyed your blog. I’ll be back to visit.

Hi Kara! I’ve made this recipe before with half and half wheat and white and it only slightly changes the texture – they are still soft, but not quite as heavenly :) I find it changes the taste more than the texture, but if you’re used to a whole wheat taste you might not even notice it. If you try it out come back and tell us what you think!

Amy says

Do you think you could skip the egg wash and brush with melted margerine instead? Or just skip it and maybe it wouldn’t look as pretty but still taste good? We have an egg/milk allergy and this is otherwise an allergy friendly recipe for us!

Yes, I’m sure you could skip the egg wash – they’ll just be lighter in color and perhaps a little softer on top, but I don’t think they’ll taste any different. I’ve also read that heavy cream works great as an egg wash substitute, you know if you happen to keep that on hand :)

Beth says

Hi. Im hoping to try out this recipe. Im actually a baker for a living and do breads every day at work but have yet to do it at home. Who wants to go home and do the same thing theyve done all day at work. I was gonna use this recipe and tweak it a bit (mostly adding some things to it) but noticed this comment about an egg allergy. You can spray the loaves generously with water right before baking and that would help create a nice gold crust. We use steam at work but thats the closest thing you will get to steam without the proper oven. As far as heavy cream, we use half n half on scones to get them golden. Not sure it would work on bread. Hope this helps.

Jo Ann says

I make bread all the time and I never brush it with anything. I find it unnecessary. The crust is a beautiful color and texture without anything brushed on it. If you are looking for a hard crust, place hot water in a shallow pan in the oven with the bread while it cooks. The steam creates a hard crust on the bread. You can also squirt the bread every 5 minutes while it is cooking with a spray bottle filled with water. This will also create a hard crust.

Tanya says

Made this bread tonight and took over to friends for dinner while still hot, it was so delicious that 2 1/2 loves are gone already!!!!
    Thanks for the great recipe!

Nativa says

That was sooo good and easy! I didn’t have the ingredients on hand for the spread but I plan on purchasing them for next time! Thank you for sharing! my 3 year old nearly ate an entire loaf. If I can make it with whole wheat and it still tastes good I won’t be purchasing bread anymore! Maybe whole wheat pastry flour will do the trick.

Tell me if you try it with whole wheat flour – I’ve never tried that before and I’d love to know how it works. I’m glad you guys liked the bread so much – I can eat almost an entire loaf myself!

Yes, Lisa, you can make just about any bread recipe by hand. Just use a wooden spoon to mix the all the ingredients together, (but start with 3 C of flour as described in the recipe). Add in the remaining 3 cups of flour gradually – you might get to the point that you can’t keep stirring with the spoon before you’ve added it all it, which is just fine. Just dump it out onto a floured surface and knead by hand, continuing to gradually add in flour as needed. It takes longer to knead by hand than with a stand mixer, but you certainly can do it!

I’m sure you could use a bread machine to make the dough, but you’ll still want to let it rise on the counter so you can give it a few extra turns every 10 minutes for an hour. That’s what helps build the classic “french bread” structure (soft inside, crusty outside). Good luck!

SoozeM says

Mmm it looks really good! If I was feeling really lazy and wanted to cheat could I leave the dough in the stand mixer and just turn it on for a few seconds every 10 minutes instead of doing it by hand? Not much bench space + kids + dough = disaster ;)

I don’t see why you couldn’t! Give it a try and let us know how it works. And BTW my daughter will totally eat bread dough that I’ve left out to rise – gross!

Nichole says

Hi. So made this bread and my dough did not rise. I was wondering what could have caused it to not rise because I followed the instructions and my dough looked just like in the picture and yet, it still didn’t rise.. Although the dough didn’t rise, the bread still came out delicious! If you could please get back to me on what you think could have happened, that would be great! Thank you.

Hmmm – if it didn’t rise there must have been a problem with the yeast. I usually don’t “proof” my yeast first, just because it’s extra work (that’s the step when you let the yeast dissolve in warm water, usually with a bit of sugar, for 10 minutes to see if it starts to get bubbly) BUT you’ll probably want to do that next time you try this to make sure you’re yeast is still good. If it doesn’t start getting puffy as it dissolves, you need new yeast. The other reason could be that you used very hot water instead of warm water – very hot water will kill the yeast and then it won’t rise. My mom used to always tells me the water should be quite warm to the touch, but not so hot it’s uncomfortable to touch. Sorry it didn’t quite work out, although I’m glad it still tasted good. I made this once and forgot the salt and it was AWFUL! All that work for nothing. Anyway, better luck next time, right? :)

July says

It could be that you used active dry yeast, rather than instant yeast. If you use active dry yeast, then you need to let it proof by letting it sit in warm water with some sugar (leaving all stated measurements the same… in other words follow the recipes instructions for proofing.) for 10 minutes. I had to do this, too. Also, I used coconut sugar rather than refined sugar (a 1:1 sugar replacement) for both proofing yeast, and the actual bread.
      P.S. If your yeast doesn’t grow or double in size during those 10 minutes, then its no longer active. Basically, you need new yeast.

Paula says

I had the same issue with my bread not rising. I did proof my yeast and it did double in size but I think I may not have used enough. The ‘T’ is that for teaspoon or tablespoon? I went with teaspoon. My bread came out very heavy and dense, tastey but lol brick like.

So sorry about that! Uppercase T is for tablespoon, and lowercase t is for teaspoon. I’ll have to start specifying that in my recipes so people don’t get confused. I hope you give the bread another try!

Graham Smith says

So, I believe i’m a decent cook but far from a baker. This recipe was easy though and worked out wonderfully. The bread was great ( a little lumpy though, no mixer); light, fluffy and great taste. I really appreciate quality recipes like this one, which includes the photos and step by step instructions. Really made it easier for me and fun to make with my son. Thank you for the time you took to make this.

Dawn says

Sometimes yeast will not proof if the water is too hot, you kill the yeast. I also made this by hand and it worked great!

Donna says

Hi … I’m just wondering if you could please clarify your measurement abbreviations … Is T a teaspoon or tablespoon? And is C a cup (and if so, is it a 250ml size cup).
    Thanks.

Hi Donna! T is a tablespoon (lowercase t is a teaspoon) and C is a cup, which is the standard US 8 fluid oz cup (and I believe that is indeed 250ml). Thanks!

July says

1 cup (8 oz.) is 237 milliliters, or 16 Tablespoons if you wanna go through all that work. :) Making this for my moms birthday dinner! with spaghetti and meatballs!

Colleen says

I made this bread last week and it was a HUGE hit with my family. I gave two loaves to my in-laws; my father-in-law ate an entire loaf in one sitting! I am making it again today- I only had regular yeast on hand. I subbed 2 TBSP of regular dry active yeast and followed the directions as you outlined. It seems to have produced the same results!

After doing a little research, I think using the amount of yeast in the original recipe would probably work with regular yeast because the recipe calls for proofing the yeast. I’m curious to know if you’ve tried regular yeast and if so, how you altered the recipe and how was the final product. Thanks!

Colleen – I think you’re right that you can use regular yeast – I’m pretty sure I’ve used regular dry active yeast and instant yeast interchangeably and had the same result. I’m so glad your family loved it!

I’m making this for the second time in a week! I took half of the first batch to my Aunt and Uncle and their kids, the loaves were gone in about an hour. The butter spread is so amazing! I’m so glad I didn’t skip it! I used chive onion cream cheese and it added good flavor! We also spread it over the bread and then toasted it under the broiler for a few, it was so amazing!!

Hannah you’re making me hungry! I best it’s amazing broiled with the spread, and adding chive onion cream cheese sounds like a stroke of genius.

Meghan says

I just made this for the first time, and I have to say, this bread was the easiest to make ever! Then the last step went wrong. My loaves expanded out and not up, So they are sort of flat looking, and got a little bubbly/bumpy. Any ideas? I have yet to taste them, though besides the mentioned deformities they look pretty good!

Meghan, I’m not sure what caused the problem but my best guess would be that you didnt knead quite long enough. Kneading develops gluten, which is what helps the bread hold it’s structure as it rises, so if the loaves did expand but went out instead of up that might mean the gluten structure wasn’t strong enough. Let me know if you try again!

ceci says

I made some over the weekend for the first time, We had friends and family over and it was amazing. Thank you, so much for sharing it’s heavenly as you state. I paired it with the butter, lots & lots of complements. And, the aroma in the house as it baked, made every one even more excited. Dinner could have just been the bread & butter…………….. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

Isn’t it fun when everyone LOVES something you baked? And I would totally eat fresh baked bread and butter for dinner every night if I could et away with it :)

Kara says

Love this recipe! I was trying to prepare sunday dinner, clean up and help my kids plant seeds (they all want their own mini vegetable garden) while trying this recipe for the first time- I messed up and put too much water in. After panicking I just eyeballed and guessed adding ingredients to make up for the excess water and it still came out amazing. I will never buy store bought french bread again AND my family thinks I’m a culinary genius- THANK YOU! :)

Oh I’m so glad it worked out! I know what it’s like trying to cook and do a thousand other things at once – I did that once with this bread and left out the salt and it tasted terrible :( so I’m glad yours worked out.

Yvonne says

If you don’t bake the entire batch, can you freeze or refrigerate the left over dough? If so, in an airtight container?

Hi Yvonne! I haven’t frozen this dough, but I regularly freeze dough for my other bread recipes, so I imagine it would work. I would make it through to the shaping, then put it on a greased cookie sheet and freeze until firm, then place the dough “log” into a ziplock freezer bag. Then you’ll have to experiment with how long it takes to defrost and rise – I’d take it out of the freezer and put it back on a greased cookie sheet and maybe cover with a barely-damp cloth and let it defrost/rise on the counter. It will likely take 4-5 hours or so. Then add egg wash and bake. If you give it a try, come back and let us know how it works! Oh, and one other thing – I find that if I leave bread dough in the freezer for too long (like longer than a month) it doesn’t rise as well anymore, so don’t wait too long before cooking the frozen dough!

olga says

I don’t know if I posted comment before regrading this recipe or not, but I just want to share that this have become our family favorite bread recipe. Very easy to make, and taste awesome. Matterofact I barely buy bread now. Thank you! Haven’t made the butter yet though, but I’m going to try that as well.

jesi says

This recipe was super easy to make. I love to cook and to bake but for some odd reason I’ve always been intimidated by bread recipes. Thank you for helping overcome this hurdle :) next time I make my baked potato soup I’m going to USA this recipe to make bread bowls

Betsy says

I just made this and it is so delicious! I just got a stand mixer and have been experimenting with pizza dough, but this was my first try at bread. Pretty easy and it comes out perfectly crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. I cut the recipe in half and just made two loaves. My dough was dry at first so I added a little water which was too much so I added flour teaspoon by teaspoon until the dough looked like the picture. It still worked great so it must be pretty forgiving! Didn’t make the cheese spread for fear my bread wouldn’t turn out, but next time I will.

Oh, Betsy, you HAVE to try the cheese spread! It’s so crazy delicious. I’m glad your bread turned out so well!

Stephanie says

I feel like this is a stupid question, but does the bread need to be in the warmish oven to rise, or can it rise at room temperature?

dee says

Seriously the best bread in creation. .I could not belive I really made it. .I added sesame seeds to 2 loaves. This was nice and crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. . The only thing is. . It was fine after the first 10 min at 425…so delicious. .I froze 2 loaves… can’t wait to make again. .. thank you for the recipe…

So awesome! Don’t you love when something turns out so well? Thanks for letting me know it worked!

dee says

How can it be that the frozen loaves were even more delicious….OMG!!!! Making 8loaves this weekend..you’ve created a monster!!!!

Awesome! So did you freeze the dough, then let it thaw, rise and bake? Or did you freeze the actual bread after baking?

Dee Freeman says

The Bread After I Baked it…
        I’m making 8 loaves right now and will be freezing 6 of them

Dana says

Hi,
    I just can’t wait to make this delicious looking french bread ;) lots of gym time afterwards I am sure, but it will be worth it :) will let you know how they turn out :) BIG THANKS FROM A BREAD EATING MONSTER ;) HAHAHA

La Nae Steele says

a lot of the recipes I have seen, I would love to have the recipes for They all look so delicious

Kristen says

I just wanted to say that this is my all time favorite bread recipe! I make this at least once a week. However somehow I’m doing something wrong as no matter what I do, I only end up with enough dough for two-three loafs! However, they are the best loafs of bread ever!

I’m making this bread right now, and am loving it! I have a big family, and I often make 8 loaves of regular bread. This evening we are going to have a campfire with hot dogs and with my wrist in a brace right now I couldn’t make actual hot dog buns. So, I thought “why not make French bread as a ‘sandwhich’ with the hot dogs?” :D At this moment, I’m just about to put it in the oven. This is the best bread dough I ever made! It was fluffy and airy. Very easy to make and I’m sure it is going to taste WONDERFUL with the cream cheese spread! :) I’m going to have to be careful to make sure we will still have some for this evening. ;)

Love in Christ,
    Julia Ryan

Writingforhisgloryblog.blogspot.com

melanie says

Thank you for this great recipe. I had just made a roasted garlic butter so I opted to use that… great and easy recipe. I also only had the the dry active yeast so your tips were very helpful. I am giving one of the loaves to my neighbors that just moved in too.

Whitney says

Hi, I was wondering if when shaping the loaves, I would be able to get more than 4 loaves from the dough(just smaller loaves)?

Oh, this looks absolutely divine. I love making homemade bread, especially artisan loaves. Will have to give this a try.

Hi there! Can you tell me if the bread can be made a day before being served? I am planning an anniversary dinner for my folks and this bread would go perfect with the stuff shells I am making, but I would like to bake them the night before if possible so I am not trying to do it all on the day of. I know some breads are better the second day but I wonder if this will become stale almost like store bought french bread the next day if I make it Friday night.

Thank you!!

Adeline, I’m trying to remember if I’ve ever had leftovers of this bread the next day but I can’t remember. I’m guessing it will go a little bit stale by the next day. Some of the other commenters have had good luck freezing the dough to bake for later, so you could read through the comments to see if that might work for you. I’m just realizing now that maybe your dinner is tonight and you’ve already had to figure something else out – sorry about that!

Alicia says

I wondered if you had ever put the bread back in the oven after you put the spread on? If so, did it work and how long did you keep it in the oven for?

I’ve never tried it this way, but I think it would make a great garlic bread. Let me know if you try it!

GJ says

Found this recipe on Pinterest. I cut the recipe in half and made 2 loaves for me and my hubs to try. I pulled it out of the oven about 20 mins ago and one of the loaves is already gone! It was super easy and delicious. I didn’t have ingredients to make the spread so we just ate it with butter or jam. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe!

Jenn says

Just made these two recipes today. This was my first attempt ever at making bread & turned out pretty great thanks to your well explained instructions! my husband and I both enjoyed the spread on slices of breaf fresh out of the oven. Can’t beat that! Thanks for sharing!!

mARNA MCMILLAN says

I made this bread this weekend…..holy moly was it good! I used bread dough instead of all purpose & I ended up adding about 1/2 cup extra flour as bread flour soaks up more liquid, but the texture was AMAZING! So soft & chewy inside & crunchy on the outside! I’m making this again this week to have meatball subs on!!!! Thank you for the recipe!!

mARNA MCMILLAN says

Also…..wanted to ask if you’ve ever made this recipe in loaf pans for making sandwich bread at all?

ELAINE c says

Hi I tried to read all the comments to pick up more tips before I really start to bake….and it is like never-ending and i am getting really hungry! Lol…
    By the way, just want to know if I need to knead until I achieve the window pane like all other bread or just according to your timing? Sorry…I am a beginner in baking:-) I will be using instant yeast…and skip the first step for proofing the yeast. Do I add the same amount of water into the mixture?
    Appreciate your advice. Thanks in advance :-)

Found this recipe on Pinterest and I am SO glad I did! I made it right away and all four loaves were gone over 2 days! My family loves bread and this was so quick and easy! I’ll definitely be adding it to my regular baking schedule! It’s that good! Thank you for sharing it!

Amy says

I love love love this bread. I made some awhile back and it took approximately two days for my teens to eat all four loafs. My family owned and operated a bakery/restaurant for over forty years, so making bread is a traditional happening around here. But, this was my first French bread experience and it was super yummy! Thank you for the recipe and keep um coming. Would love one for a rye bread. :)

Caroline says

I followed your bread recipe and it came out delicious ! We ate an entire loaf before it even cooled down :) I definitely will be making more !

Carl says

It has turned out to be an overcast, rainy day here in south Georgia. I was able to get my garden beds ready for some late planting before the rain started, but “What to do now?”, I pondered. Do laundry….NO. Vacuum….No. I know, read a book and bake bread! YES!!! Definitely YES! This recipe is so easy to make and is absolutely delicious. Of course, since the wife and children are at school, I get to have the hot end piece and not feel guilty at all. Thanks for sharing.

I made this bread last night and my kids said, “Oh Mama! This is the best bread I’ve ever eaten!!” So we ate the first loaf and they asked if we could cut the second one, which we did!! This is now my keeper French Bread recipe. I can’t imagine finding one any better. I would buy those French loaves from Wal-Mart, but not any more!! I did add half wheat flour to mine and it was SO good. Thank you so much for posting this incredible recipe.

Michele says

I made this bread last night for dinner and it came out perfect! Great recipe, one i will make again and again. Thanks for sharing!

1. […] So I had a hankering for bread, and no car to go to the grocery store. Luckily I had all the ingredients and found an awesome recipe for some French bread. This recipe was not nearly as time consuming as it sounds. Making the dough is really quick, some yeast, flour, water, sugar and salt was all it took. After I mixed all the ingredients, I kneaded the dough for about five minutes. Kneading is tricky because you don’t want to over knead it. I then let the dough chill and rise for an hour. The recipe only calls for letting it chill for 30 minutes, but I left it in for twice as long. I skipped the kneading it every ten minutes for an hour, and just kneaded it for five minutes before forming it into loaves. After letting the bread bake, it was time to test my creation. The bread looked beautiful. It was a light golden brown, and the crust was nice and crispy while the middle was soft. Taste wise, it was fantastic. The bread was delicious. However, it was still a little heavy. Next time I try this out, I will let the dough chill for a lot longer, and knead it every ten minutes for an hour like the recipe calls for. Recipe for French Bread […]