the breezy tee tunic | free sewing pattern

It’s still cold here, but we’ve seen a few hints of spring this past week, so I decided to celebrate with a new short sleeve top. I made a tunic that’s long enough to wear with leggings, because I’m sure we have plenty of boots and cardigan weather still ahead. I used my free breezy tee pattern (available in size L) with just a few adjustments to make a tunic instead of a tee.

This easy to sew tunic pattern only has two pieces and is free in women's size L! Quick, easy sewing tutorial, perfect for spring.

The fabric is peach skin, which I really love. It’s soft and silky and lightweight, but doesn’t wrinkle and isn’t too hard to sew with, as far as silky fabrics go. Combined with the roomy cut of the breezy tee pattern, it skims past all my problem areas without looking bulky.

I started with the free breezy tee pattern, which you can download from this post. I used one yard of 55-60 inch wide fabric, prewashed.

When cutting out the pattern, I made a couple of adjustments, which you can see below. First, I lengthened the hem by 8-9 inches (so that I used the full yard of fabric), and then curve the hem up at the side seam. Also, I lowered the arm hole by about an inch and a half. Since peach skin isn’t stretch, I want to make sure there was plenty of room around my arms. I probably didn’t actually need to add that much but it turned out fine. Also, I did not use either the pocket or sleeve pieces.

You’ll cut out two pieces, both on the fold: one with the front neckline and one with the back neckline. The construction is simple. Just place the pieces right sides together and sew along both shoulder seams, then sew down both side seams. (You can read this post for more photos of the process; just remember I didn’t use the sleeve piece here.)

I turned the ends of the sleeves under 1/4 inch twice and hemmed with a straight stitch. I did the same for the bottom of the tunic. It ends up looking longer in the back, as you can see here:

Then I made a bit of bias tape from fabric scraps and bound the neckline. Try the shirt on before binding the neckline to make sure it fits over your head comfortably. I did not have to enlarge it.

And that’s it!

Now, one last thing to note is that I’m a smaller chested gal, so the face that this blouse doesn’t have darts isn’t a problem (especially because I used such a free flowing fabric). However, if you are larger chested I cannot guarantee if this will work as well for you. I’d try it in an inexpensive fabric first just to make sure you like the fit.

Want to see what else you can do with this pattern? Check out the original breezy tee:

boxy-tee-free-pattern-sewing-women-t-shirt-easy-tutorial-1

The contrast pocket breezy:

easy-womens-tee-t-shirt-how-to-sew-free-pattern-1

The breezy kimono:

this easy to sew DIY women's kimono comes together in less than an hour with just one yard of fabric using a free tee pattern. easy to follow photo instructions.

The breezy blouse:

super easy blouse tutorial! It only takes two pattern pieces and a few seams to make, plus there's a free pattern in size L!

The long sleeve breezy:

Learn how to sew this cute, easy to make long sleeve dolman tee using a free printable pattern and tutorial. DIY t-shirt.

The breezy sweater dress:

Learn how to sew this cute, easy to make DIY sweater dress or tunic with a free printable pattern and sewing tutorial.

Comments

jeanie says

Thanks for this great pattern, I’ll probably make it over the weekend. I’ve been wanting to use some of my non knit stash!
    Love your fabric- color, pattern and flow!

Kristie says

I keep seeing those cute swing dresses. But I am way cheap and won’t pay for one. This seems like a great solution to that. Thanks for sharing!

Ava says

Love the fabric, where did you get it? I love the forgiving look of longer tunics, this would be a quick sew.

liz says

hi – just wondering – how do i work out the long sleeve version – do i just trace off of an existing sleeve or is there a pattern available for it – and also what are the actual measurements for this awesome top as i so want to make it – such an easy forgiving style and could jazz it up in many ways once i figure out how to sew it – thanks

Nancy says

You are terrific! I am going to give the pattern a try because you have inspired me. Keep up the great work and thanks for the pattern.

natasha says

Hi I love this I was wondering what your thoughts are on this pattern with quilt cotton or linen ? I was looking at the angel dottie frock but the pattern is so much $$ thanks

TEMA says

Love this tee… but especially as a dress! Really love the brownsh striped number! “_
    Thank you so much for sharing this lovely pattern.
    TEMA

Ellyn Wood says

This is sooooo cute and versatile I want this pattern – but ALAS after downloading stuff I DO NOT want I still cannot download it. This is really way to difficult. Can’t it be easier????

Nancy says

Big tummy and bust so I need an XL or XXL sizing. Suggestions for a beginner and how to adjust pattern?

I can’t tell you how much I’m grateful that you posted this shirt with a longer back. I’m so sick and tired of wearing “walmarty” tshirts lately with a saying on it that I need something more fun, this is cute and it looks fast and you gave us the pattern, so for this newly stay at home broke mama, I am grateful, thanks!!!

Joy Wheeler says

Just come aross this wonderful pattern. Thank you so much for sharing this. I am not that expeienced with this sewing lark but it has inspired me

Joyce says

Great…thanks for the pattern. I will try one over the weekend. I like the pattern very much.

Regards,
    joyce

Tracy says

Where can I find the measurements for the tee
    In not sure what a standard large is and depending on where I shop a large can be so many different sizes

bonnie says

Thank you for sharing your pattern, that’s very nice of you. I especially like your mint patterned fabric and it looks lovely on you!

Theresa Leone says

I made this top in solid blue ribbed knit. I lengthened the sleeves by 2 -3″ so they came just to my elbow. I didn’t bind the neck; just turned fabric under. I decorated the neckline & sleeve edges with my own crocheted chain in white yarn. I’m really pleased with the final project & plan on making one or two more. Thanks for sharing!

Llace Hickey says

So I’m usually a small to Medium, but I tried this out in size large because I’m pregnant right now. Let me say THANK you for the pattern!! It is a beautiful and simple shirt to make!! I extended the shirt pattern about 6 inches to go over my big old belly…lol. I also left off the sleeve from the pattern and just did an inch wide bias around the edge, since it was a little wide on me. In doing so it made the fit better for my size. It turned out amazing!! I can’t wait to order new knit fabric to make more.

Sharon rhodes says

Looks easy to sew since I had a stroke I have not been able to sew. I am looking forward to sewing this tunic.

Reena Kaplowitz says

I made this dress length with some Girl Charlee knit I got at a show- maybe Quilt Con Pasadena? Anyway. It came out great despite the learning curve for dealing with knits. I am fatter than you in a a lot of spots- should have done the drop armhole but it is ok. I made the 3/4 sleeve version. I wish I liked the fabric better. I will be making this again. Hopefully I will stick to my diet and the dress will look even better. Thanks so much. Do you have a Facebook? I cannot keep up with emails. FB is so easy you are there click and it’s great.

Erika says

Thanks for the beautiful pattern. I will get lots of use out of it I am sure & thanks for all the different pictures of the tunics ideas.

Rebecca Smith says

I’ve used this pattern three times now, and today’s was my biggest success. Thank you for the pattern and tutorial. This was the first pattern I tried to make a blouse, and it was a great teacher. I wish I could attach a picture.