In today’s post: Want to get some great first day of school pictures this year? Check out these great ideas for adorable back to school photos!
Some might say you can divide up moms into two groups: those who don’t even want to think about the school year starting again and those who can’t wait for the kids to head back. No matter which camp you’re in (I’m in both), the school year is about to start, which means it’s time to take back to school photos. This past week I went looking for some fun ideas for back to school photos or first day of school pictures, and I’m sharing 16 of them with you today. Whether you’re cheering or crying when your kids head back, you can at least get some amazing photos!
NOTE: As with all roundups, if you’d like to pin an individual photo, please click through to the original source to do so. You’re welcome to pin the collage above to remember where to find all these ideas in one place.
Fun ideas for back to school photos
1. Start your back to school photo shoot with some photos of back to school shopping! Those rows of brightly colored supplies are just asking to be photographed.
2. Be sure to take a picture of the first day of school outfits. Have the kids try on their new clothes a few days ahead of time and hold a mini photo shoot ahead of time so you’re not rushed on the first day of school. Photo from Helen John Photography.
3. Use simple props, like a stack of books or an apple, to make the standard back to school photo a little more fun. Photo from 71toes.
4. Check thrift stores for a vintage desk to make cute photos of your child heading back to school even cuter. Photo from Storybook Photography.
5. Instead of writing what grade your child will be entering on his chalkboard sign, try writing something with a little humor instead. Photo from Adventures of Bradysitting.
6. Make your first day of school pictures more fun with these awesome photo booth printables from Capturing Joy.
7. Try a cute “brainy” back to school photo shoot with some old sunglasses with the plastic popped out and a pair of suspenders. Photo from Ruffles and Stuff.
8. Capture your child’s handwriting on the first day of school with a fun “my name is” sign. Photo from Apples and ABC’s.
9. To make first day of school pictures a little less lame for older kids, use free printable hashtag signs. Printables and photo from Tatertots and Jello.
10. Even if (like mine) your kids don’t ride the bus to school, you can still grab a shot with the bus in the background. Just have you child stand on the curb near one of the buses in the parking lot for an adorable back to school photo. Photo from Chelle Cates Photography.
11. I love the idea of using the school’s marquee in a photo! Gorgeous photo (and great idea) from Heather Nan Photography.
12. The brick walls at many schools make a great photography background, so stop for a quick first day of school picture before your child heads in the door.
13. If it’s allowed at your child’s school, follow him or her inside and take a few more photos. Try a close-up of her backpack. Photo from Simple as That.
14. Or take a shot as he walks away down the hall (also from Simple as That – click over for more back to school photo ideas).
15. If you’re allowed in the classroom, take a few there. Try standing right next to your child while he sits at his desk and asking him to look up at you for a photo that includes the first day of school work.
16. And if you’re in the mood to start a tradition, get a large shirt with your child’s graduating year on it and take a photo of him wearing it every year! Photo & idea from The Journey of Parenthood.
Happy first day of school!
Leave a Comment