In today’s post: Find 27 absolutely free maxi dress patterns and tutorials so you can make a lovely long dress anytime you want!
So every once in a while I think about losing weight. I could do that, right? It would probably be pretty fun to be a few sizes smaller. But then I think about the work it would take to lose weight, and I realize I’m just not. that. interested. I’m pretty sure my quality of life would severely suffer if I tried to curtail my ice cream intake. So instead, I’m back to wearing clothes that make the most of what I’ve got, love handles and all. Maxi dresses do just that, which is why I make a couple every summer. Today I’ve rounded up the best free maxi dress patterns and tutorials so any of you who love long dresses as much as I do can get sewing!
27 free maxi dress patterns
1. I love a maxi dress with sleeves, so I based this easy cap sleeve maxi off my free classic t-shirt pattern. (My pattern available in size large, but you could follow this tutorial using any t-shirt pattern.)
2. Try this gorgeous draped maxi dress tutorial from Creative Fashion Blog. She turns a rectangle of fabric into a beautiful long dress with a gathered neckline and straps in just a few steps!
3. For a slightly dressier maxi dress with a very full skirt, visit my raglan maxi dress tutorial.
4. Check out this super cute tiered maxi dress tutorial based on your measurements, from A Pair and Spare.
5. Melly Sews has a free printable pattern for this pretty long empire waist dress (in size small).
6. This gorgeous long dress pattern is one you can make yourself using a t-shirt in your size. Tutorial from Merrick’s Art.
7. Making a maxi dress doesn’t get any easier than this! Using fabric that comes already gathered you can make a pretty maxi with just one seam! From It’s Always Autumn.
8. This cute side slit maxi dress pattern is another one you can make in your own size using a fitted top. Instructions from Elle Apparel.
9. Learn how to make a halter maxi dress with this tutorial based on a free tee pattern in size large.
10. This tutorial from Cotton and Curls is for a cute DIY wrap maxi dress.
11. Here’s a free maxi dress pattern offered in two sizes (small/med and large) from Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom. I love the ruffle at the hem!
12. This DIY maxi dress from Me Sew Crazy has a more sophisticated feel.
13. Cotton and Curls shares an illustrated tutorial for this pretty peasant maxi dress.
14. This DIY maxi from A Pair and a Spare is absolutely adorable! A wrap tank maxi with ruffled hem.
15. I love this pretty cross back maxi dress from Me Sew Crazy! She shows you how to make your own pattern by tracing a tank top.
16. This simple maxi dress is the first I ever made: it’s just two pieces of fabric plus a casing for elastic.
17. This romantic ruffled strapless maxi is made with rectangles based on your own measurements. From Sharon Sews.
18. This DIY kimono sleeve maxi tutorial includes measurements for a one size fits most dress. From Bonnie and Blithe. PS: its pregnancy friendly!
19. Bunny Baubles shares in illustrated tutorial, complete with measurements, for this off the shoulder maxi dress with cute gathered sleeves. Looks like it would fit a variety of sizes.
20. Here’s another simple maxi dress pattern you create yourself, based off a t-shirt. Makes a pretty maternity dress! From Preciously Paired.
21. One more easy t-shirt maxi dress tutorial, from Cotton + Curls.
22. The hardest part of making a dress is definitely the top: putting in sleeves and finishing the neckline. Skip that step with this shirt + fabric maxi that turns t-shirt into a maxi dress in 30 minutes.
23. Here’s another version of making a maxi dress by adding a skirt to an existing tee, from Merrick’s Art.
24. Learn how to save money on fabric by making a DIYmaxi dress from a knit sheet, using a tee as guide. I love the full skirt on this one! From Dandelion Drift.
25. This easy gathered shoulder v-neck maxi dress pattern can be created using your own measurements. Easy to follow instructions from Mimi G at the Michael Levine blog
26. This boho maxi dress pattern from Sweet Verbena is basically a big rectangle with a V-neck! It’s amazing that something so easy turns out so cute.
27. This last maxi dress pattern is a downloadable PDF in a number of children’s sizes? Girls boho maxi dress pattern from Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom.