In today’s post: These chewy Golden Graham bars taste like s’mores – and they’re so addictive that we just call them s’mores crack!
Well, I know I’ve hit on something delicious when my husband tells me I’m never allowed to make them again. That means his willpower is just not up to the task of saying no to one more square of these little golden graham S’mores bars. Turns out my willpower isn’t any stronger: these guys are just nearly impossible to stop eating.
I’ve had golden graham treats before, and they were delish, but believe me when I tell you these are better! They take just four ingredients and are the perfect ratio of chewy and crunchy with tons of marshmallow, graham, and chocolate.
Golden Graham Bars
Basically we start with the Rice Krispie treat formula, but sub in Golden Grahams for the Rice Krispies. And then we amp it up with extra butter and extra marshmallows, then throw in some Hershey Bars as well. The result is a heavenly S’mores concoction that I’ve christened “Smores crack” due to it’s highly addictive nature.
The secret to a perfect golden graham treat is marshmallows: lots of them. First you’ll melt some with butter to stir the Golden Grahams into. Then we mix in even more marshmallows, along with pieces of Hershey bar. Dump it all out into a 9×13 pan, and then you sprinkle on even more marshmallows and even more chocolate!
If you can walk away at this point and let it set up for an hour or two, you’ll be able to come back and cut it into squares – either 12 giant squares or 15 more reasonably sized ones. But my kids were digging in with spoons as soon as I poured the mixture out into the pan.
Ok, I was too. ?♀️ What can I say, this stuff is good!
Golden Graham Treats Recipe
Golden Graham Bars (aka S'mores Crack)
- 7 cups Golden Grahams Cereal
- 16 ounces Mini Marshmallows, divided
- 1/2 cup butter
- 6 Hershey Bars (full size, 1.55 oz each)
- Unwrap Hershey bars. Break 4 of them into individual squares and set aside. Break the other 2 bars into squares, and then break those squares in half. Set aside.
- In a large pot, melt the butter with 6 cups of mini marshmallows over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- When marshmallows and butter are completely melted, remove from heat and stir in Golden Grahams cereal. Allow to cool for 1 minute.
- Stir in 3 more cups of mini marshmallows (there should be a few marshmallows left over). These marshmallows should not melt completely. Also stir in the 4 Hershey bars that were broken into squares.
- Pour mixture into a greased 9x13 pan. Using slightly wet hands, gently press the mixture into the pan. Sprinkle mixture with remaining mini marshmallows and pieces of Hershey Bar.
- Allow bars to cool and set up before cutting and serving.
Why so many marshmallows?
You’ll note in the recipe that marshmallows get added at 3 different times. That’s not a mistake! The first 6 cups of marshmallows get melted with butter to form the chewy “glue” that holds these treats together (just like a Rice Krispie treat). Then, you’ll stir in 3 more cups of marshmallows along with pieces of Hershey bar. These marshmallows (and the chocolate) will get a little melty, but won’t melt completely, meaning there will be nice pockets of chewy marshmallow and chunks of chocolate mixed into the bars. Finally, you top the bars with the last few marshmallows and Hershey bar pieces to make them look pretty. If that seems like too much work and you aren’t worried about how the bars look, feel free to mix in all the remaining marshmallows and all the chocolate in one step.
Plan to store your bars covered, at room temperature. I’m afraid I can’t tell you how many days they stay good for – they never last more than 24 hours around here!
Looking for more delicious s’mores treats? Try these:
Feed a crowd with S’mores Pizza
Frozen s’mores (pudding + marshmallow sandwiches)