We’re pretty picky about bananas in our house. Most of us like them when they’re perfectly yellow – no green, no brown. Since “perfect yellow” only lasts a day or two, we end up with ripe bananas regularly. This is our favorite banana bread recipe, but when we really want something decadent and dessert like, I make this easy chocolate banana bread recipe. You’ll think you’ve died and gone to heaven when you try this stuff.
It’s super rich and chocolate-y with a mild banana flavor – and it’s incredibly moist. You can bake the recipe as one standard sized loaf or in three small loaf pans, and the smaller loaves are perfect for giving away.
They key with this bread, as with all quick breads, is to be careful about the cooking time. It’s tempting to take it out early – in a full sized loaf it needs to cook just over an hour, which seems like a really long time. But if it comes out too early it will sink in the middle, and undercooked bread isn’t nearly as tasty as, say, undercooked cookies. When it’s done the top will be cracked (like you can see in the photo above) and when you gently press down on it with your finger it will spring back up instead of staying depressed. If it sinks a tiny bit as it cools, don’t worry too much, it will still taste good. When I bake it in 3 smaller loaf pans the cook time is generally somewhere between 40 and 50 minutes, but again, you’ll just need to watch it the first time since loaf pan size and oven temps vary a bit. I find letting it rest in the pan for at least 10 minutes after removing from the oven makes it easier to get out.
This bread is delicious warm, but it’s even better completely cooled – the banana and chocolate flavors both intensify as it sits. I actually really love it refrigerated with a cold glass of milk.
Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1/3 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 & 1/4 cups Mashed Ripe Banana
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 & 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Baking Cocoa
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat sugar, eggs, and oil together to combine.
- Beat in mashed bananas and vanilla.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, and chocolate chips.
- Stir into wet mixture until just combined.
- Spray a standard sized loaf pan with nonstick spray and dust with flour, then pour in batter.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes until top is cracked and bread is cooked through (when you gently touch the top it should spring back).