In today’s post: French Bread Meatball sandwiches are an easy weeknight meal that can be on the table in under 30 minutes.
I am always looking for easy dinner ideas! I like cooking, but doing it every night for the rest of forever sometimes gets to be a little much 😂 . My youngest kids are 10 and 12 and while they are pretty good at baking already, they haven’t done much actual meal preparation. So I’m starting to teach them how to make some simple meals, like this French Bread Meatball sandwich.
This dinner idea is easy enough that they can do the entire thing on their own. This recipe makes two great big sandwiches from one loaf of french bread, which I usually slice into six individual sandwiches, although if you’re serving kids you could stretch it to eight sandwiches. And the recipe can easily be doubled to serve 12-14: just look for a 32 oz bag of frozen meatballs if you need to serve a crowd! Add some chips and a green salad and you have an easy meal that takes very little hands on time but still tastes great.
Meatball Sandwich Ingredients
You can make these easy sandwiches with just five ingredients:
- a loaf of french bread
- frozen meatballs (about 18 oz or 30 meatballs)
- a jar of spaghetti sauce (whatever flavor you like best)
- provolone cheese
- italian seasoning or chopped parsley (mostly to add color to the finished sandwich; you can sprinkle parmesan cheese on top if you have some too)
French Bread Meatball Sandwich Recipe
French Bread Meatball Sandwich
- 1 loaf French Bread
- 18 oz Frozen Meatballs about 30 meatballs
- 1 jar Spaghetti Sauce
- 8 oz Sliced Provolone Cheese
- Parsley or Italian Seasoning
- Parmesan Cheese optional
- Place the meatballs in a large saucepan with a lid. Cover the meatballs with spaghetti sauce (you may not need all the sauce). Cover the saucepan with a lid and bring the sauce to a simmer. Continue to simmer the meatballs in the sauce until they are hot (165 degrees), about 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the french bread in half lengthwise. Slice it down the middle from the top of the bread down to the bottom, not from side to side. Turn each half so the cut side is up, then use your finger to tear out a narrow channel of bread.
- Divide the slices of cheese between the two halves of bread and tuck them down into the bread. When the meatballs are warm, broil the bread until the edges are brown and toasty and the cheese is melted, just a few minutes.
- Spoon meatballs into the bread over the cheese. Sprinkle italian seasoning or parsley and/or parmesan cheese over the top if desired. Slice each french bread half into 3 sandwiches and serve immediately.