In today’s post: Looking for a cute Mother’s Day gift for Grandma? This Grandma’s garden craft is an easy gift that kids can make for their grandma that lets her showcase photos of all of her grandchildren!
My husband’s sweet grandma passed away last summer. One of her favorite things was a little wall display where she hung photos of all her great-grandchildren. She showed it to everyone who came into her home, and all the great grandkids knew she loved them so much that she wanted everyone to see pictures of them.
Today’s project is a similar idea, but it’s meant to be a project the kids can work on for Grandma. They can make flowers from colored cupcake liners and then glue photos of each grandchild in the middle of a flower. Glue a wood skewer on the back for a stem, and you have flowers for “Grandma’s Garden.”
Download the Label
I filled a cute metal flower pot with floral foam and covered in with sheet moss. Then I created a label to place on the pot that says: “Grandma’s Garden, grown with love”
This label was made using clipart from My Cute Lobster Designs, with permission. I printed the label out onto sticker paper, so I could easily apply it to the pot. But if you don’t want to purchase sticker paper, you could print it onto cardstock and then glue the label on your pot.
The printable has 2 labels on it that are each 3×5 inches. If you need a larger or smaller label, just print it at greater (or less than) 100%. I trimmed the label along the lines, then used a corner rounder punch to round the corners:
To make the flowers, you will need:
- Colored cupcake liners (I found mine at Walmart)
- Photos of the grandkids (the faces should be 2 inches tall or smaller – I just printed mine out at home on cardstock)
- Wood Skewers
- Circle cutter OR a cup, lid, or other circular object that’s about 2.25 inches in diameter for tracing
- Hot glue + another adhesive if kids are helping (like a gluestick)
And to make a flower pot that looks like mine, you will need:
- Flower pot of your choice
- Floral foam that will mostly fill the pot (I get my foam at the dollar store)
- Sheet moss or faux moss (dollar store)
- Label printed on sticker paper or cardstock
Grandma’s Garden Video
Watch this video to see how to make this project! Be sure to read the tips for success after the video. Printable instructions also follow the video.
Tips for Success
Tip #1: You need to find or print photos of the grandkids in the right size. You want each face to be about 2 inches (or less) tall, so that the face will fit on a flower made from a standard size cupcake liner. It can be hard to order photos and get them printed at the right size, so I just printed my photos out at home on cardstock. That way I could reprint a photo slightly larger or smaller if needed.
Tip #2: You need to cut the photos into 2.25 inch diameter circles. You can use a circle cutter, or just find a circular object about that size and trace a circle onto the photo, then cut it out with scissors.
Tip #3: In my video, I did all the glueing with a hot glue gun. PLEASE BE AWARE that hot glue is…hot…and it may feel very warm on your fingers when you glue the cupcake liners together. If the kids want to do the gluing, let them glue the flowers together using a glue stick or other adhesive that is safe for them. Then you can hot glue the skewers on the back.
Tip #4: You can cut some of the skewers a bit shorter so you can stagger the height of the flowers.
How to Make Grandma’s Garden craft
Grandma's Garden Craft
For the Flowers
- Photos of grandchildren heads should measure just under 2 inches
- Colored cupcake liners
- Wood Skewers
- Hot glue or other adhesive
Flor the Flower Pot
- Flower Pot
- Floral Foam or other filler
- Sheet Moss or Faux Moss
- Sticker Paper or cardstock and adhesive
- Corner Rounder Punch optional
- Fill the pot with floral foam, and cover it with moss.
- Make the label. Download the printable and print it out on sticker paper. Trim around the edges of the label and use a corner rounder to round corners (if desired). Remove backing and apply to pot. (If you don't want to purchase sticker paper, print the label on cardstock and glue it to the pot instead.)
- Print out photos, making sure the faces are under 2 inches tall. Use a circle cutter to cut a 2.25 inch circle around each face. OR, find a small cup or other circular item that is about 2.25 inches in diameter and place it over the face. Trace around the object, then use scissors to cut out the face.
- Grab two colored cupcake liners and flatten then down into a circle. Fold the liners in half, then in quarters.
- Fold the liners into 8ths, then into 16ths. Starting from the fold, cut a curve as shown below to create a petal shape.
- Unfold the liners to reveal two flower shapes. Place the liners with the lighter sides together and glue. Then glue the circular photo into the center.
- Flip the flower over and glue one end of a wood skewer to the center of the flower. Poke the skewers through the moss in the flower pot into the floral foam to display.