In today’s post: Buttery shortbread gets topped with Rolos and pecans to make these easy turtle shortbread cookies. They’re simple to make and taste absolutely delicious! This is a perfect recipe to add to your holiday cookie plates!
Ever had those pretzel treats that are topped with a Rolo and a pecan? They’re good, right? Surprisingly addictive, actually. I got thinking about how delicious they are this year and wondered…what if I put the Rolo and pecan on top of a buttery shortbread cookie instead? And then topped the whole thing with a little sea salt?
Well, I gave it a shot and let me tell you: these are GOOD cookies! The shortbread is super simple to mix up, and it bakes up buttery and melt-in-your-mouth tender. Add the chocolate and caramel in Rolos plus pecans and a little salt and these just might be the perfect holiday cookie.
- 2 cups Flour
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 1/3 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 cup Butter
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- 30 Rolo Candies
- 30 Pecans
- Sea Salt optional
Want more project ideas? Sign up to get my favorite easy crafts and recipes straight to your inbox!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place flour, salt, softened butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a bowl and beat together until combined. Mixture will look like crumbs at first, but continue beating and it will come together into a thick dough.
- Scoop out dough by tablespoons and roll into balls. Place on a lined cookie sheet and flatten each dough ball until it's about 1.5 inches in diameter.
- Bake for 12 minutes, until edges feel set. Meanwhile, unwrap the Rolos.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and top each one with one Rolo in the center. Return to the oven for 90 seconds, then remove and push a pecan down into each Rolo. Sprinkle with sea salt if desired.
- Cool completely before serving.