decadent double chocolate banana bread recipe

decadent double chocolate banana bread recipe - perfect for gifting!

We’re pretty picky about bananas in our house. Most of us like them when they’re perfectly yellow – no green, no brown. Since “perfect yellow” only lasts a day or two, we end up with ripe bananas pretty regularly. This is our favorite banana bread recipe, but when we really want something decadent and dessert like, I make this easy chocolate banana bread recipe. You’ll think you’ve died and gone to heaven when you try this stuff. It’s super rich and chocolate-y with a mild banana flavor – and it’s incredibly moist. You can bake the recipe as one standard sized loaf or in three small loaf pans, and the smaller loaves are perfect for giving away.

decadent double chocolate banana bread recipe - perfect for gifting!

They key with this bread, as with all quick breads, is to be careful about the cooking time. It’s tempting to take it out early – in a full sized loaf it needs to cook just over an hour, which seems like a really long time. But if it comes out too early it will sink in the middle, and undercooked bread isn’t nearly as tasty as, say, undercooked cookies. When it’s done the top will be cracked (like you can see in the photo above) and when you gently press down on it with your finger it will spring back up instead of staying depressed. If it sinks a tiny bit as it cools, don’t worry too much, it will still taste good. When I bake it in 3 smaller loaf pans the cook time is generally somewhere between 40 and 50 minutes, but again, you’ll just need to watch it the first time since loaf pan size and oven temps vary a bit. I find letting it rest in the pan for at least 10 minutes after removing from the oven makes it easier to get out.

This bread is delicious warm, but it’s even better completely cooled – the banana and chocolate flavors both intensify as it sits. I actually really love it refrigerated with a cold glass of milk.

Click here for the printable recipe card.

decadent double chocolate banana bread recipe - perfect for gifting!

decadent chocolate banana bread recipe - easy and perfect for giving!

linked at: Make it and Love it, I Heart Naptime, Whipperberry, Tidy Mom

Comments

SHIRLEY says

My bananas are perfect for this right now. Too bad I don’t have cocoa and chocolate chips. I think this will make a great treat for this weekend.

arielle says

Darn it! I had planned on being good then I get on Pinterest and see this. Now I’m going to have to make it and eat most of it. If I didn’t like you so much I’d be mad at you.

Lisa Y. says

I’ve got this in the oven right now. But for some reason it was just asking to baked in a bundt cake pan! Maybe because that reminds me more of dessert! Thanks for the recipe…can’t wait for it to come out of the oven!

Lauren says

Would you happen to have any idea how many bananas make up 1 1/4 cups of mashed banana? It would be easier if I knew how many bananas I need versus how many cups of bananas I need :)

nyzeth says

I baked it 1 hr at 350 & I had to lower it to 300 to let it bake longer for another 20 minutes. Even like this it burned around the edges

So sorry! I’ve never had this happen. If you do want to try it again, you could bake in muffin cups or mini loaf pans to make sure it bakes through in the middle without burning on the edges.

Amber says

Looks delish. My Albertsons sometimes has bags of bananas for $.99, because they have brown spots or are the lonley ones off a bunch. Going to try this and add it to my christmas goodie gifts. Thankyou.

JoAnn says

My husband was just diagnosed with diabetes. I prefer to make goodies where i control the ingredients. I subbed splenda, applesauce for the oil and used egg whites. I used 1/2 c mini chocolate chips and it turned out beautifully!

Have this baking in the oven right now and my house smells DELICIOUS! My little one helped with the mixing and preparing and decided to add craisins…Can’t wait to taste. Thanks for sharing!

Cathy says

I made this last night, (found it on Pinterest!) it’s delicious and moist, great recipe thanks! Next time I might add some walnuts or pecans too in one loaf, It made 2 regular sized loaves.