One of the most popular posts on this site from a couple of years ago was an easy slow cooker lasagne recipe. I made it for the first time in months last week and remembered how dead simple it is to put together AND all five of my children practically licked their plates clean, which is genuinely a cause for rejoicing on my part. So I decided it was time to repost the recipe, along with a quick video showing everyone just how easy it really is.
The lasagne cooks in your crockpot for 5-6 hours on low, and only takes a few minutes of prep time. Just mix cooked ground beef and jarred spaghetti sauce, some cottage cheese and seasonings, and layer everything in the slow cooker at lunchtime. By dinnertime your house will smell delicious and all you have left to do is open up a bag of salad and slice a loaf of french bread!
This recipe calls for jarred pasta sauce–I like the thick & chunky garden veggie variety, but you can use whatever kind your family likes best. Also, there’s no need to precook your noodles OR to use oven ready lasagne noodles – the normal kind soften up nicely in the slow cooker. I do use more sauce than usual in this recipe since the noodles suck up quite a bit of the moisture, but that leaves the lasagne with a lot of flavor. It cuts and serves beautifully.
NOTE: Please be sure NOT to use no-boil or oven-ready noodles, as they will get too mushy. Normal lasagne noodles work perfectly!
Here’s a quick video to show how it goes together:
- 1/2 to 1 lb Ground Beef
- 36 oz Spaghetti Sauce about a jar and a half
- 16 oz Cottage Cheese
- 1/4 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Egg
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 9 Lasagne Noodles uncooked
- 8 oz Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Brown Ground Beef.
- Mix in spaghetti sauce.
- In a bowl, mix together cottage cheese, parmesan cheese, egg, and italian seasoning.
- Spray crockpot insert with nonstick spray.
- Pour about 1/3 of meat sauce in bottom of crock and spread evenly.
- Break 3 lasagne noodles to fit and lay on top of meat sauce.
- Spread half of cottage cheese mixture over noodles and top with half of mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat layers: 1/3 of the meat sauce, 3 noodles, remaining cottage cheese and mozzarella cheese.
- Top with remaining 3 noodles, the pour on remaining sauce.
- Cover and turn crockpot on to low.
- Cook for 5-6 hours until noodles are tender.
One of my favorite things about this recipe is that I can make it in the summer without turning on the oven and heating up the whole house. Definitely a win-win.