In today’s post: This easy chocolate peanut butter pie only requires 5 ingredients and 15 minutes of prep time.
There are two different times of year that really just feel like pie. One is during the Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays (of course!) and the other is at the beginning of summer, when everyone is gearing up for the first cookouts of the year. Pies work beautifully on both occasions because they are the perfect make ahead dessert that just about everyone loves.
Today I’m sharing an easy chocolate peanut butter pie that has me itching for a big family bbq or neighborhood party.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie
This pie is very easy to make, but you do need to get it started at least 4 hours before you’d like to serve it, which means all the work is done in advance! First you just stir together warmed cream and melty chocolate to make a rich chocolate ganache layer. Pour that into a purchased Oreo pie crust and chill it for a few hours. Then you stir melted peanut butter into Cool Whip which magically combines into a light, creamy peanut butter mousse. Spread that over the ganache and chill once more – and you’re ready to top as desired and serve!
How you top it is up to you! It’s delicious just the way it is, so you can leave it plain and set out some additional Cool Whip or whipped cream for people who want it.
Or you can get fancy and melt together 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips to make a pipe-able PB chocolate drizzle. I spooned the drizzle into a small zip top bag and snipped off a tiny corner to pipe it onto the pie.
Whether you decide to drizzle or not, don’t forget to add a few mini Reese’s Peanut Butter cups to make it look fancy! Because, after all, this pie is basically a giant Reese’s cup with an Oreo crust. Yum.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie Recipe
- 1 Oreo Pie Crust
- 3/4 cup Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 cup Whipping Cream
- 3/4 cup Creamy Peanut Butter
- 8 oz package Cool Whip thawed
- 2 tbsp Creamy Peanut Butter
- 2 tbsp Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Additional Cool Whip or Whipping Cream that has been whipped with a bit of sugar
- mini Reese's Peanut Butter Cups halved
Want more project ideas? Sign up to get my favorite easy crafts and recipes straight to your inbox!
- Place the chocolate chips in a bowl. In the microwave or on the stovetop, heat the cream until it barely begins to simmer. Pour cream over chocolate and wait about 5 minutes.
- Whisk together the cream and chocolate (which should have melted by now) until smooth and thick. This is the chocolate ganache layer. Pour it over the Oreo crust and smooth out into an even layer.
- Chill until ganache is quite firm, 1-2 hours.
- Place peanut butter in a microwave safe bowl, and microwave in 20 second intervals until peanut butter is melted (it took 40 seconds total in my microwave).
- Gently stir the peanut butter into the thawed Cool Whip. Continue to stir until peanut butter is completely incorporated. DO NOT try to whip it in or the cool whip will deflate and the mixture will end up heavy.
- Spread peanut butter layer over ganache and chill for 2 more hours before serving.
- Top pie as desired and serve cold. To make chocolate peanut butter drizzle, melt together the additional peanut butter and chocolate chips. Place in a zip top bag and snip off a corner, then pipe or drizzle across pie.