In today’s post: This simple chocolate raspberry cobbler combines raspberry pie filling and chocolate cake into a decadent dessert that tastes amazing served warm with vanilla ice cream!
Years ago on a camping trip I learned how to make Dutch Oven Cobbler, a camping delicacy made by dumping peaches, cake mix, and soda into a dutch oven and cooking it over hot coals. I’ll admit, I was skeptical of this particular dessert. It didn’t sound like that combination of ingredients would be all that delicious…but when you’ve been camping for a few days, all food starts to taste pretty amazing. So ya, it was good. Not good enough that I ever made it again, but pretty good nonetheless.
And then a few months ago I got introduced to a chocolate cherry version, and everything I thought I knew about Dutch Oven Cobbler changed. It was really quite good. Soon I starting having visions of rich chocolate and RASPBERRY cobbler, made in the comfort of my own home, without the bother of heating coals and cooking outside.
And, much to my children’s delight, I made those dreams a reality. We’ve enjoyed this easy chocolate raspberry cobbler way too many times in the past few weeks as I tinkered with the recipe to get it right.
Not that there’s much of a recipe – this is a spend 5 minutes combining 5 items type of dessert that turns out surprisingly good! Sweet raspberry pie filling gets sprinkled with chocolate chips, then topped with a batter made from cake mix and soda (I know it sounds weird, but it works!). A little butter goes on top of everything and then the whole thing bakes until it’s a rich mix of gooey chocolate raspberry sauce with tender cake on top. Yum!
I know this isn’t exactly a traditional “cobbler.” My husband says it reminds him of a bread pudding texture wise. You can bake it a little longer to make it more cakey, or a little shorter to maximize the gooey goodness. Either way, a scoop of vanilla ice cream is pretty much required. Enjoy!
Chocolate Raspberry Cobbler Ingredients
The best part about this delicious dessert is that it only requires 5 ingredients…and two of them are actually optional! This is what you need:
- A Chocolate Cake mix – any brand should work, and you’ll only use half the mix unless you want to double the recipe. Measure out about 1.5 cups of mix to use, and put the rest in a ziplock bag to save for next time.
- A can of raspberry pie filling – or triple berry, or cherry!
- Soda – any type is just fine, I used Diet Coke, but you could use Root Beer or Sprite
- optional Chocolate chips – I throw in a small handful of chocolate chips to make the cobbler extra chocolatey
- optional Butter – I also slice a little butter on top of the batter before baking to make the top taste extra rich!
Chocolate Raspberry Cobbler Recipe
Chocolate Raspberry Cobbler
- Half of an 15.25 oz Chocolate Cake mix about 1.5 cups of mix
- 21 oz Can of Raspberry Pie Filling
- 3/4 cup Soda any type is ok, diet is ok
- 1/4 cup Semi Sweet Chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp Butter sliced into small pieces
- Gently grease an 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread the pie filling out in the bottom of the baking dish. Sprinkle with the chocolate chips.
- In a bowl, stir together half of a chocolate cake mix with 3/4 cup soda. Stir until mostly combined - it's fine if the mixture is lumpy. Spoon batter over the pie filling and spread out evenly. Use a spoon or knife to swirl through the batter and pie filling a few times. Top with butter slices.
- Bake for approximately 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out mostly clean. Bake a bit shorter for a gooey consistency, or longer for a more cake like consistency.
- Cool 10-15 minutes before serving. Tastes best warm with vanilla ice cream.