In today’s post: Tender, melt in your mouth shortbread is topped with a Hershey’s kiss to make these shortbread blossoms. Only 6 ingredients!
Shortbread blossoms just may be the perfect Christmas cookie! They are very easy to mix up and only require six ingredients, but the result is absolutely delicious. The flakey, buttery shortbread melts in your mouth, and the sweet Hershey’s kiss is the perfect compliment. This is a great cookie to make with your kids – little ones always love putting the kisses on top!
To make these cookies look a little more festive, I rolled the balls of dough in sprinkles and colored sugar before baking. Most grocery stores sell colored sugar next to the sprinkles, but you can also make your own by mixing food coloring into regular sugar. The green cookies below were made using purchased color sugar (which is a little coarser) and the red cookies were made with homemade colored sugar.
The only thing that can be a little tricky with these cookies is determining when they are done. Mine cooked for 14 minutes in a 350 degree oven, but depending on your oven and how large you make your cookie dough balls, you may need a minute or two more or less. Because this is shortbread, you want it to be a little crunchy once the cookie has cooled. However, if you bake them until they start browning they will be very crunchy instead of tender and crumbly. Shoot for about 14 minutes, and check them by touching the side of a cookie – it should feel set, not squishy.
You’ll place a Hershey’s kiss on top of each cookie as soon as they come out of the oven. Press the kiss down into the cookie enough that the edges of the cookie start to crack.
These cookies taste best if they are allowed to cool completely before eating.
Shortbread Blossoms Recipe
- 2 cups Flour
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Butter softened
- 1/3 cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 30 Hershey's Kisses
- Sprinkles or Colored Sugar optional
Want more project ideas? Sign up to get my favorite easy crafts and recipes straight to your inbox!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place flour, salt, softened butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a bowl and beat together until combined. Mixture will look like crumbs at first, but continue beating and it will come together into a thick dough.
- Scoop out dough and roll into 1 inch balls. That's just over a tablespoon of dough per ball - I use my standard size cookie dough scoop and underfill it slightly.
- Roll dough balls in sprinkles or colored sugar if desired. Place on ungreased cookie sheet (using a liner is fine). Flatten balls just slightly.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes until edge of cookie feels set. Remove from oven and immediately place a Hershey's kiss in the center of each cookie, pressing down until cookie cracks around the edges.
- Remove from cookie sheet and cool completely before serving.