the breezy tee long sleeve sweater dress {free sewing pattern}

Breezy fall days always make me want to curl up with a book and a blanket on a cozy corner of my couch, and occasionally, thanks to the fact that most of my kids are in school, I actually get to do it! If there’s any chance of curling up, my jeans are not going to be involved. Honestly, anything with a button and zipper isn’t going to be involved. Sweats or leggings are definitely the way to go when comfiness is calling. Since I don’t like to wear leggings unless I have a really long shirt on (and no, I’m not joining the leggings aren’t pants debate, I’m just not a fan of my thighs on display…) the cooler weather called for a few new tunic or dress length tops. And since I’m lazy and I basically like to sew variations of the same thing over and over, I turned to my breezy tee pattern and long sleeve add-on to make this cozy sweater dress.

Learn how to sew this cute, easy to make DIY sweater dress or tunic with a free printable pattern and sewing tutorial.

The breezy tee is a super simple top pattern available here for free in size L. I’ve already sewed in up as a blouse, turned it into a kimono, and added a 3/4 or long sleeve length. And now I’m turning it into a comfy cozy dress.

To make a long sleeve sweater dress, you’ll need the breezy tee pattern (found in this post) and the long sleeve add-on (found in this post). You’ll want to read through those posts to get familiar with the construction and learn how to put all the pieces together.

Making the breezy tee into a dress is simple: when you cut the main pieces, just extend them 12-18 inches depending on how long you want the dress to be and square off the bottom hemline instead of cutting it in a curve.

Sew everything up the exact same way, including adding a long sleeve, and you have a loose fitting dress. Now when I say loose, I mean it–it’s quite roomy and drapey. I wanted to give mine just a little shape, so I added a line of elastic across the back. To do so, use tape to mark a horizontal line across the center back on the inside of the dress. Cut a piece of elastic a couple of inches shorter than the line you’ve marked (the shorter the elastic, the more gathers you’ll end up with).

Pin the elastic just above the tape, matching the center of the elastic to the center of the tape and each end.

Stretch the elastic until the fabric lays flat as you sew it to the dress, using a zigzag stitch. Once it’s sewn on, it will gather up the back of the dress like this:

Alternately, you could take in the sides of the dress to give it a little more shape. I just have a rather round derriere, so I figured gathers in the back would be the way to go for me.

To finish off the dress, you’ll want to bind the neckline, add sleeve cuffs, and hem the dress as directed in the long sleeve add-on tutorial. I like the way the french terry fabric I was using curled up at the edges, so instead of adding sleeve cuffs and a hem, I just added a few stitches along the sleeve ends and hem to keep the fabric curled up…

…but I’m considering cutting it a little shorter and added a hem band instead, so it looks more like a really long sweatshirt. We’ll see. Either way, it’s comfy and doesn’t look quite as sloppy as sweats on those days I really can’t handle wearing jeans.

Comments

Bonnie says

LOVE your simple modest, yet charming, design ideas and expeditious no-fuss construction techniques. I’m an old lady who’s well on her way to producing a complete wardrobe using your patterns and what I am learning from you about easy-peasy construction. God bless you for your generous sharing spirit. (PS. The photos of your children in some of your other posts are PRECIOUS 😉

Rachel says

I love this pattern I am going to try it. I also have tried you slouchy tee pattern and I love that one to. Thanks so much for sharing.

Stephanie says

Love this. Love the base pattern and all the variations. It’s very kind of you to make your pattern freely available. What bust measurement does your large pattern fit? I’ve looked at the other posts and am not seeing it. Just want to have an idea before I print for whether or not I’ll have to grade up. Thanks!

Erica says

I have to thank you for this fabulous pattern! I whipped one up this afternoon and I love it! This is gonna be my new go-to pattern for knits.

Lucy Caitlyn says

As others have said many thanks for your generosity in sharing your inspiring patterns.
    The elastic in the back is a great idea that I’ve got a couple of other dresses this would
    work beautifully on.
    I had an idea for dressing this one up a bit if you wanted the casual comfort but out with friends/kids.
    Add patch pockets in contrasting colour. Don’t have to go on square, it can be fun having slightly off centre. Also change the top of pocket, scallop, heart, add a triangle looks like an envelope back, add a small button just for decor.
    Also you can buy lovely lace collars on Ebay, not always expensive ~ would look lovely on this.
    They also look really classy on black/navy plain sweater ~ gives impression you’ve a pretty blouse underneath.
    Square off neckline and add ribbon or braid. If you use elastic on back use same ribbon/braid just over gathers so they come from above & below.
    Hope these ideas help some folk and you don’t mind me adding to your excellent ideas.

Lisa says

Thanks so much for your free patterns! I’m about to attempt the long sleeve dress, just wondering about fit. I’m 5 feet and weigh 146 lbs. I like things to fit loosly as middle age spread has really caught up with me! My waist measurement is about 38 inches. Do you think I should adjust the pattern? Maybe to fit an X-large? Can’t wait to get sewing, I’ll let you know how I do.
    Thanks, Lisa

women’s clothing is often tighter and more complicated than men’s clothing, which for many people means it is less physically comfortable. It is, however, acceptable for women to wear far skimpier clothing in hot weather than men can get away with, as you pointed out.

Lisa says

I was wondering how much material to buy for the dress, you said a yard would do the Tee nicely, so one and a half, or two? Thanks, Lisa

Carol Bellin says

I could live in various versions of this dress all year around – it’s both comfy and flattering. Thanks for sharing!

Diane Singleton says

How much material do I need for this dress? Thanks. I love this dress and want to make it…what kind of material do I need?

1. […] There’s something about snowy days that just makes me want comfy clothes! Somehow putting on something you can snuggle up in makes the long winter a little more bearable. If you need a new piece to get you through the rest of winter, check out this easy long sleeve sweater dress (a hack of a free pattern!) from It’s Always Autumn. […]