In today’s post: Patriotic Popcorn Mix is an easy treat to whip up for the Fourth of July. It makes enough for a crowd and everyone loves it!
Years ago my sister-in-law introduced me to popcorn covered in white chocolate, and it’s been one of our easy go-to treats ever since. The sweet white chocolate perfectly compliments the salty crunch of the popcorn, making it *really* hard to stop eating! This week I made a patriotic Red, White, and Blue version for the Fourth of July, adding pretzels, peanuts, and M&Ms to the mix.
Fourth of July Popcorn Mix Ingredients
This easy popcorn mix (or munch mix) only takes about 15 minutes to put together + about half an hour to set up. And you can make it with just five ingredients! You will need:
Popped popcorn, about 12 cups: You can use microwave popcorn (2 bags should be enough) but please make sure to go through your popcorn and remove any unpopped kernels because it is not fun to crunch down on a kernel if one makes it into the mix! I used a bag of (prepopped) Smart 50 Sea Salt popcorn to make it easy.
Pretzels, about 2 cups: Any shape is fine, just break them into pieces
Peanuts, about 1 cup: This is the “optional” ingredient – my husband loves the mix with peanuts, but my kids might prefer it without, so choose according to your family’s preferences
White Almond Bark, 12 oz: You can use a bag of white chocolate chips if you prefer, just be aware they won’t melt as nicely as the almond bark does
Patriotic M&Ms, about a cup and a half+: You can purchase the “sharing size” bag of red, white and blue M&Ms, which is 10.7 oz or just under a cup and a half of candy, and that will work just fine. However, if you get a larger size bag and can use a little more than a cup and a half (like a cup and two thirds) that will taste even better!
I also added 2 tablespoons of red, white, and blue jimmy sprinkles just to make the mix look a little more festive, but that’s completely optional.
How to Make Patriotic Popcorn Mix
This mix is super easy to make! You can put everything other than the almond bark in a huge bowl and mix it all together, then melt the almond bark and stir that in as well…
…But I think it’s a bit simpler (and less messy) to do it this way:
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Spread out all the popcorn on the cookie sheet, then top with the peanuts and broken pretzels. Melt the white chocolate in a gallon size ziplock bag, and snip off a tiny corner. Pipe about half the white chocolate onto your mix:
Immediately top with 2/3 of the M&Ms. Use a spatula to gently turn the mix over, coating the items with white chocolate. Then “pipe” on the rest of the white chocolate and top with the remaining M&Ms and the sprinkles. Allow to sit at room temperature until cooled and set up, about half an hour. Then break into pieces and enjoy!
Patriotic Popcorn Mix Recipe
- 12 cups Popped Popcorn with any unpopped kernels removed
- 2 cups Pretzels broken into pieces
- 1 cup Salted Peanuts optional
- 1.5 cups Patriotic M&Ms (more if desired)
- 12 oz White Almond Bark
- 2 tbsp Fourth of July Sprinkles optional
Want more project ideas? Sign up to get my favorite easy crafts and recipes straight to your inbox!
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, then spread out all the popcorn on it. Top with the pretzel pieces and peanuts.
- Melt almond bark in a gallon size ziplock bag in the microwave according to directions on the almond bark. Snip off a tiny corner of the bag and pipe out half the almond bark onto the popcorn mix. Top with about 2/3 of the M&Ms.
- Use a spatula to gently turn over the mix, coating it in the almond bark.
- Spread the mix back out and pipe the rest of the almond bark over the top. Top with remaining M&Ms and the patriotic sprinkles. Allow mix to cool at room temperature until almond bark has set, about half an hour. Break into pieces to serve.