In today’s post: Find 25 brilliant ideas to make your Easter egg hunt even more fun.
Easter egg hunts aren’t rocket science: fill those eggs, hide them, and let the kids loose! But they can pose a few problems: how do you make sure the older kids don’t find all the eggs before the little kids get started? What can you put in eggs if you’re trying to stem the tidal wave of sugar into your children’s bodies? How do you make it easy enough for tiny kids? Interesting enough for teens? A little more fun that what you’ve done every other year?
We’ve gathered up 25 of the most brilliant Easter egg hunt ideas and hacks to make your egg hunt even more fun. You’ll find egg hunt ideas with non-candy fillers, egg hunts that use clues, ideas to make your hunt fair for older and younger kids, and hacks to make Easter egg hunts fun for tweens and teens.
Egg hunt ideas using non-candy fillers:
I’m a girl who loves her dessert, but I sometimes feel like my kids are getting candy thrown at them from all sides. They come home from school with candy, they come home from birthday parties with BAGS of candy, and every holiday has become an excuse for even more candy. Sometimes when Easter Sunday rolls around they still have candy left from Valentine’s Day! So sometimes I try to find non-candy alternatives to stuff their Easter eggs with, like coins or small toys. Check out these creative Easter egg hunt ideas that use something other than candy:
1. Hide puzzle pieces inside the eggs – when the kids put the puzzle together they can flip it over to see what prize they’ve earned. Get the printable instructions from It’s Always Autumn
2. Willy Wonka themed golden ticket egg hunt (or use a golden egg instead of a ticket!) from Play Party Plan
3. Fun a fun twist, fill plastic eggs with snacks or eve lunch. From Gluesticks by Brandy Nelson
4. Fill eggs with tickets for fun activities or coupons written on small slips of paper. From Andrea’s Notebook
5. Alphabet hunt at I Can Teach My Child
6. This egg hunt idea includes activities the kids can do as they find each egg, like hop on one foot or moo like a cow. From Alice and Lois
7. Lego hunt for Frugal Fun 4 Boys and Girls
Egg hunts with clues:
These clue-based Easter egg hunts turn the traditional hunt into a treasure hunt! Clues can help little kids know where to look, and make the hunt a little more fun for older kids. Hide the next clue in each egg, or have the Easter bunny leave the clues in your kid’s Easter basket.
8. Easter egg treasure hunt using picture clues for very young kids from Made for Mums
9. Printable treasure hunt clues for kids that can read from Edventures with Kids
10. Rhyming riddle Egg hunt clues from Clutterbug
11. Smart phone QR code egg hunt clues from Bits of Everything
Egg hunt ideas that make the hunt fair for older/younger kids:
With five kids spanning ten years in age, we’ve had to figure out how to make sure older kids don’t gather up all the eggs before the younger kids have a chance to find any. These brilliant Easter egg hunt ideas ensure everyone gets their fair share so everyone feels like a winner.
12. Assign each participant a different color egg – they can only pick up their own color so everyone gets an equal number of eggs. From Sew Many Ways
13. This video from Good Knit Kisses explains a great egg hunt idea that ensures siblings and cousins each get the same amount of eggs.
14. Scavenger Hunt cards from Wonder-Mom
15. Use balloons to help toddlers find the eggs from Celebrations at Home
Teen Egg hunt ideas:
Now that I have teenagers I try to hide eggs in the hardest places I can think of, but they still find them too quickly! These hacks for teenagers complicate the annual Easter egg hunt just enough to make it fun for older kids.
16. Easter egg bingo from Sunny Day Family
17. Let everyone stay up past bedtime for a fun flashlight hunt for older kids from Let’s Get Together
18. Scrabbled Easter egg hunt from Veri Keri
19. Scrambled clues from Party Delights
20. Easter egg hunt “Treat or Dare” from That YouTub3 Family
Other fun egg hunt ideas:
If you’re looking to try something new with your Easter egg hunt this year, give one of these ideas a shot!
21. Easter Egg popper tree from Studio DIY
22. Egg hunt checklist from A Mom’s Take
23. April fools Easter egg hunt from Hip 2 Save
24. Glow in the dark egg hunt (great for when you need to have an indoor Easter egg hunt due to weather) from A Girl and a Glue Gun
25. Surprise hunt for your neighbors from A Girl and a Glue Gun