In today’s post: This DIY snowman wreath is super easy to make using loop yarn and supplies from the dollar store. You can make this simple craft in under an hour with our tutorial.
How to make a DIY Snowman Wreath
It’s always fun to make a few new items of Christmas decor, especially when they’re super easy and turn out adorable. This cute snowman Christmas wreath will look adorable hanging on your front door or propped up on your mantle surrounded by greenery. And since it’s more winter themed than Christmas specific, you can keep it up all through January too!
It only takes five supplies to make this simple DIY snowman wreath, most of which you can find at the dollar store. I thought about adding twigs for arms and a carrot nose, but I decided to keep it simple. Here’s what you need:
- 9 inch and 12 inch wreath forms: I purchased these wood blend wreaths from the dollar store and they worked great. If your dollar store doesn’t carry them this time of year, check Hobby Lobby, Jo-Ann, or Michaels. You could also use wire wreath forms.
- Winter hat and scarf: I know snowmen often wear a black hat, but it’s hard to make hats work on a wreath unless you cut them in half. So I opted to use a cozy winter hat and matching colorful scarf instead. Both items came from the dollar store.
- Winter floral pick: I used an evergreen + Christmas ornaments floral pick from the dollar store, but feel free to use whatever different items or embellishments you prefer. Holly leaves and berries would look adorable, as would a collection of glittery snowflakes.
- Loop yarn: I love using loop yarn for wreaths! I think it’s such a soft, pretty alternative to ribbon or deco mesh. This wreath took roughly one and a half balls of Bernat Alize Blanket EZ loop yarn, which comes in larger balls (sold at Jo-Anns). You can also use Lion Brand or Red Heart loop yarns (sold at Jo-Anns and Hobby Lobby), but since those brands come in smaller balls you will probably need three.
You’ll also need scissors as well as a hot glue gun and/or floral wire (to secure the items onto the wreath).
DIY Snowman Wreath
- 12 inch Wreath Form
- 9 inch Wreath Form
- 2 balls White Loop Yarn (3 if using small balls of loop yarn)
- Winter Hat
- Winter Floral Pick
Want more project ideas? Sign up to get my favorite easy crafts and recipes straight to your inbox!
- Tie the end of the loop yarn around one of the wreath forms. Wrap the yarn around the wreath form, putting the ball of yarn through the middle of the wreath each time you wrap. Continue wrapping until the entire wreath form is covered. Clip and tie off yarn.
- Wrap the second wreath form the same way. Then place the two wreaths together to make a figure eight and use additional yarn to securely tie them together. (To make it more secure, you could use zip ties, extra wire, or even white chenille stems to tie the two wreath forms together.)
- Check the length of the scarf by wrapping it around the snowman's neck. If it's too long (or wide) cut it until if "fits". If you cut the ends off, cut strips along the short ends of the scarf to create a fringe. Alternately, don't cut the scarf shorter and tie it in a bow.
- Put the hat on top of the wreath and wrap the scarf around the neck. Add a floral pick above the scarf. Secure these items with floral wire or hot glue if desired.
Leave a Comment