In today’s post: Use a thrifted sweater to turn a couple rolls of toilet paper into adorable sweater pumpkins.
A few years ago I shared my original Toilet Paper Pumpkins tutorial, and it’s been a popular post on the blog ever since. But this year I’ve had some people pretty annoyed with me that I would share a craft that uses toilet paper (truth). It was hard to get your hands on TP for a while earlier this year, and people don’t think I should be wasting it!
Well, the bad news for those people is that I’ve made even more toilet paper pumpkins this year. But the good news is that – just like last time – NO TOILET PAPER WAS HARMED in the making of this craft. In fact, when I got tired of my pumpkin decorations last year, I took them apart and there was the toilet paper, ready and waiting to fulfill its destiny.
I know, making crafts out of toilet paper is at least a little crazy, but hey, it’s cheap and it’s fun and I’m going to stop trying to justify my life choices now 😂 .
In my opinion, the “sweater version” of TP Pumpkins is even cuter than the original version. I lucked out at the thrift store and found a beautifully pumpkin colored sweater…
…but if you don’t have such luck you can also make your pumpkins white or cream – or even a gold or a pretty light green would probably work.
Supplies for a sweater pumpkin
To make a sweater TP pumpkin, you will need:
- A sweater that has stretchy sleeves: Before purchasing a sweater, make sure the sleeves will stretch to the width of a fat roll of toilet paper
- One roll of toilet paper: I prefer using the MEGA size rolls because they will give you nice fat pumpkins
- A stick or sticks to use as a stem
- Green ribbon
- Optional: twine or anything else you’d like to decorate the pumpkin with
How to make Sweater Toilet Paper Pumpkins
Watch this video to see how to make the pumpkins. Printable instructions follow.
Sweater Toilet Paper Pumpkins
- 1 Sweater
- 1 roll of Toilet Paper MEGA size is best
- 9 inches of Green Ribbon
- 1 3-5 inch stick
Want more project ideas? Sign up to get my favorite easy crafts and recipes straight to your inbox!
- Begin by unrolling the toilet paper about 15 times. Then roll the paper back up, twisting the TP as you roll. The goal here is to create a rounded shape, so keep that in mind as you roll the paper back up. Tuck in the end to secure.
- Cut off one sleeve from your sweater. Cut straight across from under the arm. Trim off the cuff of the sweater. Your sleeve piece should be 12-13 inches long.
- Stretch the sleeve out wide, and place it over the toilet paper so that a few inches of sleeve sticks out on either side of the toilet paper. Reach under the sleeve and smooth out the toilet paper roll if needed, creating a rounded shape.
- Tuck the extra sleeve inside the toilet paper roll on the top and bottom of the pumpkin, straightening out the sweater if needed.
- Tie a ribbon around a stick. Trim ribbon if needed.
- Place stick inside the toilet paper roll to create a stem. Decorate with twine or leaves as desired.
Leave a Comment