In today’s post: Transform a plastic skull and a glass candle holder from the dollar store into a faux cement skull planter. This easy craft project will be the perfect addition to your Halloween decor.
Related: Pumpkin Succulent Planter
I’m not into creepy Halloween decorations, but I actually kind of love skulls. They’re just cool! And it’s easy to transform the cheap plastic skulls from Dollar Tree into something a bit more sophisticated. Paired with a glass candle holder, they make great little planters. I used a Concrete spray paint for mine, but you could paint them any color you like! I also tried them in Oil Rubbed Bronze and that looked great too.
This easy DIY Halloween craft only takes a couple of supplies!
- Plastic Skull from Dollar Tree
- Short Glass Candlestick from Dollar Tree
- Hot Glue Gun + Exacto Knife
- Floral Foam from Dollar Tree
- Faux florals or succulents I used these succulents from Amazon
- Plastic Skull
- Glass Candlestick
- Floral Foam
- Faux florals or succulents
Want more project ideas? Sign up to get my favorite easy crafts and recipes straight to your inbox!
- Hot Glue Gun
- Exacto Knife
- Draw or trace a circle onto the top of the skull, then use a sharp exacto knife to cut it out. This creates an opening for flowers or succulents.
- Place the candlestick on the bottom of the skull and trace around the front half of it.
- Use a sharp exacto knife to cut along the traced line. This creates an opening that the candlestick can slide into.
- Put plenty of hot glue around the top of the candlestick, then slide it into the opening on the bottom of the skull. Make sure the skull is upright, not tilted backward.
- Use additional hot glue to secure the candlestick to the skull.
- In a well ventilated area, spray the entire thing with concrete spray paint. Give it 3-4 light coats, allowing it to dry for 5-10 minutes between coats. Allow it to dry completely once it is well covered in paint, at least a couple of hours.
- Cut floral foam so that it will fit inside the hole on top of the skull. I used one whole block and one block cut in half diagonally.
- Add faux flowers or succulents as desired.