In today’s post: Make this pretty textured DIY heart wreath with a wreath form from the dollar store and loop yarn.
I’ve mentioned before that I’m pretty terrible at making wreaths…but today’s wreath is SO EASY that even I couldn’t mess it up. I spent about 20 minutes wrapping my favorite loop yarn around a dollar store wreath form while watching a favorite show and hey there! it turned out surprisingly cute.
Then I rummaged through my craft supplies and found a little wood cutout of the word “Love” that I picked up at Jo-Ann’s last year for two bucks and that was that.
…And then I spent the next twenty minutes asking everyone in my house if my new wreath was actually as cute as I thought it was. Including all my teenage boys who dutifully agreed that yes, mom, your fluffy Valentine’s Day wreath is super cute (they’re good sports!).
DIY Heart Wreath Supplies
All you really need to make this wreath is a wire wreath form (mine is from the dollar store) and a ball of Loop Yarn. If you’ve never heard of loop yarn before, you should pop over to this post: Everything You Need to Know about Loop Yarn
Loop yarn is one of my favorite craft supplies. It’s a soft, machine washable yarn that has loops sewn into it, which makes it super easy to knit up gorgeous blankets using just your fingers. It also works well in crafts when you want to give something a fluffy texture, like this easy DIY heart wreath.
Loop yarn comes in different size balls. Bernat Alize Blanket EZ loop yarn (which is my favorite) comes in a larger ball, and you’ll only need one of them to cover a 12 inch wreath form. If you get Lion Brand or Red Heart loop yarn, you’ll need 2 balls. You can find the Bernat loop yarn at Jo-Ann’s. Most large craft stores carry at least one brand of loop yarn.
We’ll wrap the yarn around the heart wreath form to give it a pretty, fluffy texture. You may also want a hot glue gun so you can secure the yarn to the wreath form in some places.
Additionally, you may want a wooden embellishment (like the word “Love” that I used), floral wire to secure the embellishment, and twine or ribbon for hanging the wreath.
How to Make a Loop Yarn Heart Wreath
- Heart Shaped Wreath Form
- Red Loop Yarn 1 large ball or 2 small balls
- Hot Glue
- Wood Embellishment optional
- Floral Wire optional
- Twine or Ribbon optional
Want more project ideas? Sign up to get my favorite easy crafts and recipes straight to your inbox!
- Clip open the first loop on your loop yarn to create a tail. Tie the tail around the inside wire of the wreath form.
- Wrap the loop yarn around the wreath form, placing the entire ball of yarn through the middle of the wreath each time you wrap.
- Keep wrapping the yarn around the wreath form, keeping each loop tight against the one before it. As you do so, you will completely cover up the wreath form with the loop yarn.
- When the wreath is totally covered, tie off the yarn and clip any excess. Flip it over to the back, and push the loops on the back through to the front. This will make the wreath look more full.
- Use hot glue to secure loop yarn to the bottom point of the heart if needed. Fluff up the loops in the front.
- If you'd like to add a wood embellishment, you can hot glue it directly to the wreath. Or you can hot glue floral wire to the back of the embellishment, then use the wire to secure it to the wreath (which will allow you to reposition or swap embellishments if desired).
- Loop twine or ribbon through the wreath form to hang if desired.