In today’s post: You don’t need to spend a lot of money on photo backdrops to get great pictures – just put together one of these 20 ingenious DIY photo backdrops!
When I want new portraits of my kids, I never head to the photography studio. Instead, I head to the kitchen or front room, where I get great window light. I’m willing to spend a lot more time than most photographers would with my kids to get just the photo I want, and I often photograph them right in front of a blank wall for an easy background. This can get old pretty quickly, though, so I’ve collected 20 different options for easy DIY backdrops you can use in your home.
Note: find out how to set up your own home photo studio here.
If you have some empty space on a wall try one of these options for a super-simple DIY photography backdrop:
1. This DIY ombre backdrop tutorial from For the Love Of… shows you how to create a lovely color filled background using plastic tablecloths:
2. Use doilies in different colors to make a DIY photo backdrop like this one from Sarah Hearts:
3. Get a fun vintage feel in no time with this book paper backdrop by The Blue Eyed Owl:
4. I’ve used fabric for a DIY backdrop before, usually clamping it to something to try to keep the winkles to a minimum. This idea by Young House Love is genius – tape fabric right to the wall! You’ll want to check out her completely awesome 52 weeks of photos collage as well.
5. Ballons, anyone? How perfect would this backdrop by Momtog be for birthday photos?
6. It probably doesn’t get much easier than this fun and color customizeable streamer backdrop by Lovely Indeed:
7. Another take on a streamer photo backdrop, this time with a geometric twist by Ruffled Blog:
8. Learn how to make these pretty flowers for a lovely DIY backdrop from Lovely Indeed:
When you want a reusable backdrop, fabric or paper on a roll and a DIY stand is a good choice. Check out these tutorials for more info:
9. Fabric hung from a curtain rod and completed with trim at the bottom by The Farmer’s Nest:
10. Use a few yards of black stretch velvet for the perfect black background (plus tips on using your garage as a photo studio) by yours truly:
11. Build DIY backdrop stand from PVC pipe with these instructions from Dandelions on the Wall:
13. Another PVC backdrop stand with floor ideas as well from Easy Peasy Pie:
14. This clever setup from Mrs. Beach Bride allows you to use fun patterned wrapping paper as a DIY photography backdrop:
15. This pink photo background is gorgeous, right? Click over to I Heart Faces to see how incredibly easy it was:
If you’d like to build a small background you can use over and over again without the hassle of hanging anything up, try one of these options:
16. 4’x4′ backdrop boards that store easily against a wall and can be painted any color (each board can be a different color on each side) for about $10 from It’s Always Autumn:
17. Here’s a similar tutorial from Welcome to the Mouse House that includes background board and floor board:
18. If you’re interested in a little more involved project that gives a stunning result, Bree Franklin Photography has a tutorial for a gorgeous planked wall and floor you can make for under $100 here (you’ll have to click over to see how beautiful it is).
19. For a cheap and easy DIY planked backdrop, scroll to the bottom of this post here on It’s Always Autumn.
20. Click over to this post for more ideas on finding a better background in and around your home (then check out the rest of the 8 steps to better photos on AUTO series).
I hope these DIY backdrops give you lots of idea for creating your own cheap photo backdrops!
For more photo backdrop tips, check out these posts: